Well, hello there Sunshine. Nice to see you again. That’s right folks. The rainy week in London has past and the humidity in the concrete jungle has returned.
Need some chilling down? Me too! So let’s not waste any time and let’s get cool for the summer.
Summer is not all about barbecues and salads. Chilled soups are my new favourite thing so I can’t wait to tell you about Tarator, Bulgarian Chilled Cucumber Soup. Last summer, my Bulgarian colleague used to bring in tractor whenever she wanted something cooling and light. It looked really appetizing. I was always kind of jealous of her whenever she used to bring in this cucumber soup in. I wanted something just like that. Something substantial, flavoursome yet doesn’t take me 2 minutes to eat.
Live & thick Greek style yoghurt base infused with garlic, dill & zingy cucumber. Traditionally, this Bulgarian soup recipe is accompanied with walnuts however, I am not exactly the biggest fan of them, so I opted for sunflower seeds. To make the Tarator even more special, I topped it with petit cubes of extra sharpness. If you are wanting it to be even more cold, add some ice cubes to the soup to make it extra cool.
So, so quick to make, this bulgarian chilled soup is a great mid-week light dinner recipe. In ten minutes you have enough soup to feed your mates, your family – or just yourself for the week. Either way, this recipe is a winner.
Refresh yourselves this tarator chilled cucumber soup recipe. It’s a crowd pleaser and defo a great side to have at any barbecue. If I haven’t convinced you yet, it’s also:
- Summer perfect
- Crowd pleasing
- Super cool
This best tarator recipe serves about 3 – 4 people so it’s great for a light, midweek meal or to make for your lunches for work. If you wanted to make it for the entire family or for a gathering, double or triple the amount of ingredients.
If you do make this ‘Tarator – Bulgarian Cold Cucumber Soup ’ recipe or any similar dishes like ‘Beetroot, Tomato & Strawberry Chilled Soup’, ‘Vegan Supergreen Pho‘,‘Gluten Free Gazpacho’ & ‘Vegan Miso Sweetcorn Soup’ then leave a comment or tag a photo on my Instagram or Twitter, Facebook. Cheers my food besties. Ciao for now!
- 1 & a Half Cucumbers, Cubed
- 1kg Greek Style Yoghurt
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
- 1 Bunch Dill, Finely Chopped
- Salt & Pepper, To Taste
- 200g Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- 100ml Water + more (depending on consistency)
- 2-3 Tablespoon Sunflower Seeds
- Olive Oil (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk your thick greek yoghurt until it becomes a thinner consistency. Add your cubed cucumber to the yoghurt and stir.
- Season with salt & pepper, garlic and dill and add the water gradually. Be careful to not use too much as it you do not want it to become too thin.
- Place in the fridgerator until it's super cold.
- Serve chilled with feta cheese, sprinkles of dill and a drizzle of olive oil.