Brrr! Winter is finally here! I seriously love the chilly temperature as it means I can get covered head to toe in fluffy garments and dive right into anything hearty and warming without being cautious that it’s bikini season.
It’s that time of the year for s’mores, hot chocolate, pies and of course, soups. I really, really love soups as they are versatile, hearty, flavoursome and seasonal. Soups can be whatever you want them to be and that is why I think they are great when you want something healthy but watching your bank balance.
Everyone has a chicken and vegetable soup recipe so I thought I would share mine. It is loaded with seasonal vegetables and pulled chicken thighs. Perfectly seasoned with just salt and pepper. That’s it. The key ingredient is the water that the chicken is roasted in. It is filled with chicken juices that make the broth lip smacking.
This hearty chicken vegetable soup is perfect when you don’t feel 100%. It is pretty much homemade penicillin. Roasted chicken thighs, romanesco cauliflower, carrot, celery, courgette, portobello mushrooms, spring greens, spring onions, sorrel and parsley to make up this flavoursome soup. It’s Light and filled with greens to get your immune system pumped. Romanesco cauliflower is a beautiful vegetable and great in texture. It is seasonal so if you can’t find it, savoy cabbage is a great substitute.
This super comforting yet healthy chicken vegetable soup recipe is just what you need this winter. It’s
- Easy To Make
- Cheap to Make
- Crowd Pleasing
This soothing chicken and vegetable soup is great idea for a light dinner. Serve with some fresh bread, charcuterie and cheeses or have it how it is. It’s loaded with veggies so its pretty filling.
This easy chicken vegetable soup recipe makes about 4 servings. Wonderful to keep for a couple of days in the fridge or to bring to work for lunch. It’s cheap, healthy, flavoursome and goes a long way. I think this dish is a real winner.
For more soups ideas, why don’t you have a rummage through the wolfdown soup archives. There is Roasted Tomato Soup, Smoked White Bean, Celeriac & Aubergine Soup, Vegan Miso Sweetcorn Soup, Cauliflower Cheese Soup & Slow Cooker Chicken Pho. There are plenty of soup recipes to for everyone to enjoy.
- 600g Chicken Thighs, Skinned & Deboned
- 800ml Chicken Stock
- 400ml Water
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoon Sorrel, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh Flat Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 80g Mushroom Baby Portobello, Sliced
- Half a Courgette, Halved & Thinly Sliced
- Half of Romanesco Cauliflower, Leaves Removed & Cut into Florets,
- 2 Celery Sticks, Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Peeled & Sliced
- 1 Spring Onion, Finely Chopped
- 60g Ready Prepared Spring Greens,
- Salt & Pepper, To Taste
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken thighs in a deep roasting tin and cover with 400ml of water. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil on a high heat and add all the vegetables. Gently sauté for 5 minutes or until the veg becomes soft. Add the chicken stock and let it simmer for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and place the thighs on a chopping board. With a knife and fork, shred the chicken into thin strips. Add the pieces into the soup.
- The excess liquid from the chicken, pour into the saucepan with all the vegetables. This gives the soup an more intensified flavour of chicken and glossy texture to the stock.
- Stir in the sorrel and parsley and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve into individual bowls and enjoy with slices of fresh bread.